Andy’s primary area of practice is bankruptcy and real estate law. He helps individuals and businesses resolve financial difficulties through workouts and, if necessary, bankruptcy proceedings. He has served as lead counsel to debtors, committees and trustees in small to large Chapter 11 cases, and has assisted hundreds of clients in Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcies. He has also brought to successful resolution many real property disputes that become complicated when defective title and mortgage issues come to light in bankruptcy cases.
Andy was a partner at a major Portland, Maine law firm and later an attorney at one of Maine’s leading consumer law forms. He was raised examining titles in various registries of deed and later learned to process loans, underwrite title insurance policies, and conduct loan closings for residential and commercial loan projects. Andy served as judicial law clerk for the Maine Superior Court upon graduation from law school.
Andy joined Strout & Payson, P.A. and became a shareholder in 2017.
UNIVERSITY OF MAINE SCHOOL OF LAW
Juris Doctor, 1998
UNIVERSITY OF DIJON
Licence d’anglais (B.A.) & Certificat d’Etudes
Membership & Affiliations
• American Bankruptcy Institute
• Maine State Bar Association
• Knox, Waldo and Lincoln County Bar Associations
• Federal Bar Association
Community & Public Service
• Member, Disability Rights Maine
• Pro Bono Publico Awards, Maine Bar Foundation & Volunteer Lawyers Project
• State of Maine
• United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
• United States District Court, District of Maine
• United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Maine
• Judicial Profile: Honorable Peter G. Cary, Chief U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, District of Maine, FEDERAL BAR JOURNAL (Sept. 2015)
• Les droits des personnes handicapées dans le domaine des transports européens, REVUE DU MARCHE COMMUN ET DE L’UNION EUROPEENNE 395 (2000) (original in French)
• Amending Maine's Plain Language Law to Ensure Complete Disclosure to Consumers Signing Arbitration Contracts, MAINE LAW REVIEW (Volume 50, Number 1) (1998)